Monday, June 11, 2012

Perception Isn't Reality, But It's a Part of It

So in golf there is this great saying that goes, "feel isn't real." Basically it means exactly what you would think it would mean. What you think you are doing is often very different than what you are actually doing. Which makes sense, because most people would play quite well if they could do precisely what they were trying to.
The problem is that people now rely too much on what is actually happening rather than trusting their instincts. They spend too much time looking at film, and too little actually playing the game in which they want to become proficient. It all becomes very mechanical very quickly. I think we need some old fashioned practice time and less time analyzing what is actually happening. So I have come up with my own phrase. "Feel isn't real, but it's much more important."
Those things which we think are true, but aren't, are still strangely a part of reality. They just happen to exist in our heads. So everything we think and believe is if fact a part of reality; it just happens to be a very small part of reality that is exclusive only to ourselves. We all live in the same physical world, a shared reality, but we also all have our own separate worlds inside that are just as real. If you don't think they are real then just look inside someone's scull. I think you will find a brain there. If you look inside the brain there will be thoughts. Those thoughts actually exist, they are there! The only way a thought cannot exist is if it was never thunk.
Thus, the title, "Perception Isn't Reality, But It's a Part of It." Kind of like a rectangle and square thing.


2 comments:

  1. I disagree with the first paragraph. It is not what you think you are doing vs. what happens, but what you feel. When I hit a bad shot it does not matter what I thought I would be doing, I can feel how that shot felt (and believe me I KNOW what a bad shot feels like). When you feel like hitting a shot and pull it off perfectly, and it felt great, and you still do not get the desired result, that is when “feel isn’t real”. Even then I think it is just a lack of experience, or a misunderstanding, or misinterpretation of the correct feelings.
    Reality is nothing more than the sum of your feelings. Regardless of which sense the feelings come in from, either it be thought, sight, touch, or sound. There are some really good feel players, who prove by their results that “feel is real”. Buba Watson won the masters, he is a feel player. Not going by feel are the people who need a number, and then swing to hit a ball to that number with any combination of other factors put into their mind that dictate the shot, never letting their feelings into the equation. “Feel isn’t reel” is nothing more or less than quantitative vs. qualitative. I think all one or all the other way is a mistake. Each has an important role.
    As for what is real? How does anyone “know” what is real without feeling? Who gained “knowledge” without using their senses? Show me a person with a serial port where all of their “reality” is gained from, and I will show you an idiot who knows nothing of reality, because your “feel is real”. Let this new phrase ring from the rooftops: “Sensus Est Realis” (or “SER” for the vegie on the go).

    -SER Levi Lunt
    (makes me sound cool like Sir. Steve Redgrave... I like it :^)

    P.S. It appears to me that you have thought and feel mixed up… I do not believe they are synonyms. That made this comment hard to compile. So I ignored what you said and went off on how I felt about “feel isn’t real”, just in case you missed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, thinking and feeling are different things. However, what you think you did is mostly based off of what you felt you did, so I felt no need to differentiate.
      Also I am very confused about what you are writing. It comes off as an attempt to make counterpoints on my post, but with points that seem to correlate to what I already wrote. Anyway, as far as I can interpret we more or less believe the same thing. But thanks for the comments. Everybody else seems too busy to leave their opinions on an obscure and somewhat unimportant web page....

      Delete